The Student Magazine of Jakarta Intercultural School

FEEDBACK

FEEDBACK

FEEDBACK

The PTA Welcomes All

From organizing faculty appreciation luncheons to schoolwide events, they do it all.
Courtesy of JIS PTA instagram

The parent teacher association has long been a part of the JIS community. Still, after all this time, its goal remains the same: “To strengthen the home-school relationship,” as said by its school-wide president, Ms. Dahlia Asmat. In order to achieve this, they organize and host events that bring the JIS community together to socialize and have fun.  

At the very start of the school year, the PTA hosts a get-together for new families called the Back to School BBQ. During this event, these new families get to ask IT and Risk Management representatives regarding any questions they may have, which would ensure a smoother transition moving into JIS. 

Nearing the end of the first semester, the PTA organizes an event called the Holiday Bazaar, at  which the JIS community can shop unique local Indonesian products. To list a few, there are jewelry, art, carpets, essential oils, and other local goods that wouldn’t normally be available in departments stores or malls. Ms. Asmat shares that the significance of the Holiday Bazaar is to embrace and share Indonesian culture with new families, while also helping “small enterprises and local artisans.” 

The final JIS community event of the school year hosted by the schoolwide PTA is called the Family Fun Fair. During this fair, families gets to enjoy carnival fair activities such as the mechanical bull and bouncy castle, all while feasting in foodstalls from renowned restaurants all over Jakarta. 

These events double as fundraisers for the PTA; they collect funding from entrance fee bazaar tickets and coupons sold to play each games at the fair. The funds they collect will then be used to “to give back to the community,” as said Ms. Asmat.

“The first stakeholder that [is] super important [is] the students,” said Ms Asmat. This is why they prioritize the use of their funds towards students. JIS welcomes new students every year,  which causes a shortage of campus equipment such as chairs, benches, and tables. To solve this issue, the PTA would donate the necessary amount of equipment to facilitate new and returning students alike. They also use the funds to support students during the week of year end exams. An example of this is through preparing stalls that serve free snacks such as popcorn and ice cream. “Because you guys work so hard, we want to treat you,” remarked Ms.  Asmat. 

The goal to support the welfare of students is also reflected in Koperasi Kariyawan JIS (KKJIS), a program formed in 1986. It aims to assist the familes of our gardeners and custodians by providing their children with scholarships. As written on the KKJIS document posted on JISNet, it hopes that “students can do better if given more chances.” 

From organizing school-wide events to funding education, the PTA has and will continue to be a vital part of our community.