The Student Magazine of Jakarta Intercultural School

FEEDBACK

FEEDBACK

FEEDBACK

Ayo, Makan!

A dive into unfamiliar Indonesian delights.

With our spices known worldwide, Indonesia boasts an array of mouth-watering dishes. Although many choose the popular nasi goreng and sate ayam as their favorite Indonesian food, there is so much more our diverse cuisine has to offer. So, expand your palate, and take the chance to try something different. Who knows? It might just end up being a new favorite. Whether you are someone who usually orders their comfort Indonesian food, someone more adventurous, or even a local looking to delve deeper into our culinary cuisine, here is a list for you!

Tahu Gejrot:

What Is It?

If the traditional tahu goreng is too generic and you are craving for a bolder flavor, tahu gejrot should be your next thing to try. This delectable dish consists of bite-sized pieces of fried Sumedang tofu drenched in a sweet and tangy broth-like sauce. A seemingly odd name for foreigners and some locals alike, it derives from the process of pounding chilis and other spices to enunciate the aromatic flavors in the seasoning—hence the name gejrot, which means pound in Sundanese. Its blend of garlic, shallots, palm sugar, tamarind, and chili creates a symphony of tastes. The puffed tofu soaks the delicious sauce, giving you a boost of flavor distinctive from other variations of fried tofu found in Indonesia. Tahu gejrot perfectly exemplifies a gurih (Umami-like) dish!

Cultural Notes:

Traditionally served on an earthen clay plate with toothpicks, it is thought to give a special flavor to the tofu in contrast to a plastic or paper plate. The process of serving tahu gejrot on earthenware was implemented long ago and continues to be a standard practice amongst vendors. Often sold by street vendors, the first question they typically ask is, “How many pieces of cabe rawit (green bird’s eye chilis) would you like?” As a unique dish that can be altered to your spice tolerance, be sure to wisely pick the right amount of chilis that will not result in a stomach ache! While the pressure of choosing the level of spice can make tahu gejrot a scary snack to try alone, bring along a few friends and see who can take the heat.

Devyani C.

Ayam Pop:

What Is It?

For Indonesian ayam goreng lovers who love the crunch of the crispy fried chicken, the skinless ayam pop may not be your first choice. While its appearance may be fairly plain, don’t be deceived! The combination of more than a dozen spices and its twice-cooked method (boiled in coconut water and then fried) locks in all the flavor while still keeping it tender. This savory meal is typically served with a side of sambal lado (a chili and tomato paste), steamed cassava leaves, and piping hot rice. Its notes of coconut and spices gives a pop of flavor, which ultimately leaves you wanting to have “Just one more!”

Cultural Notes:

Devyani C.

Thought to have originated from a family restaurant in Bukittinggi, West Sumatra, this Minangkabau dish popularized not only in Sumatra but in other regions too, such as Jakarta. Although ayam pop is harder to find among street vendors, there is a 99% chance that any Padang restaurant will have some for you to try! Though the one question everyone always has is, “Why is it actually called ayam pop?” While there isn’t a clear answer, many suggest that the term “pop” derives from being a popular dish or because pop music was at its height during the time ayam pop was created (the mid-1960s).

Lenggodo:

What Is It?

Who doesn’t love a warm, crispy, and sweet treat to end their meal? But when pisang goreng (fried bananas) becomes too routine, lenggodo may just be the perfect option. Also known as cempedak goreng, lenggodo uses the cempedak fruit, giving way to a unique taste alongside a more fragrant smell compared to the traditional pisang goreng. Lenggodo usually has a sweet glaze that coats the crunchy outer layer as the inside resembles a custard-like texture that will melt in your mouth. The harmonious combination of caramelized sugars and exotic flavors has many indulging in this rare dessert.

Devyani C.

Cultural Notes:

Since they are most commonly sold by street vendors instead of Indonesian restaurants, they may be a little harder to find than the regular pisang goreng. But do not fear, as there are certain vendors you can buy from with the click of a button (any food delivery app in Indonesia).

Perfectly paired with a hot tea or coffee, it brings out a sense of comfort for anyone eating it. The cempedak fruit can be found in almost every region in Indonesia, allowing for several variations of cempedak goreng. However, since the cempedak fruit is not always in season, its counterpart, nangka goreng (fried jackfruit), is equally as delicious and tempting.

Liang Teh:

What Is It?

When a cold and refreshing Teh Botol is a staple for our year-long summer days, it may be time for you to try liang teh! With a strong herbal taste from the boiling of the luo han guo fruits (monk fruit) and chrysanthemum flowers, this will certainly have you reaching for another sip. Its potent but delicate aromatic taste compliments the notes of sweetness (from honey or other sweeteners) that undoubtedly enrich the beverage as a whole. Not to forget that this ice-cold refreshment combats the scorching and humid atmosphere of Jakarta, making it the perfect drink for this climate.

Devyani C.

Cultural Notes:

Liang teh is popularly known to cure panas dalam (feeling feverish; burning up), as the word “liang” means cold – which, in this case, not only is it served cold, but it also cools your body down. Furthermore, as cincau (grass jelly) is commonly found in this drink as a topping, it also helps prevent fevers, hypertension, and even diabetes. Despite being a sweet drink, the added health benefits of liang teh attract many Indonesians – alongside foreigners– and can be easily found in restaurants, major supermarket chains, and even small gas stations.