The Student Magazine of Jakarta Intercultural School

FEEDBACK

FEEDBACK

FEEDBACK

The Spirit of the Games

A glimpse into our take on the Olympics.
Devyani.C

Loud and encouraging roars during tug-of-war; energetic chanting of cheers; students’ gleeful laughter; the colors of blue, white, pink, and black scattered across the gym. 

This is the long-standing high school tradition of Cilandak Games. 

Every school year, grade levels compete against each other in various sports and activities, striving to attain the coveted Cilandak Games trophy. It is a day of collaboration and competition—but most importantly, of unity and fun.

The earliest record of Cilandak Games traces back to 1983. Taking place during the week of the games, various competitions would take place to build energy and excitement for the final event. Previously, these activities ranged from musical chairs to “Slaughter,” at which players would attempt to hold out in a mud pit for as long as possible without getting wrestled out. Although the games offered today have undergone several changes, the strong bond it established among the entire high school community remains. However, such an event does not just happen easily.

For four years, Ms. Davis, the High School Activities Coordinator, has had a prominent role among the large group of people working behind the scenes to make Cilandak Games possible.

“There’s a lot [that has to be done],” Ms. Davis stated. “We have to [organize] everything with great detail.”

First, Class Council representatives from each grade take care of their T-shirt design, cheer, and getting spirits high. Then, Ms. Davis works alongside the Student Activities board to sort out the events that will be offered and assign teachers as supervisors and referees. Afterwards, facility bookings are made, items needed for games are ordered, and sign-ups are sent out to allow students to choose what activities they would like to participate in.

“But [all the hard work] is worth it in the end,” Ms. Davis expressed. “It is the most spirited day on campus, and I love it.”

From diligent preparation to enthusiastic participation, Cilandak Games is a special and anticipated day on the high school calendar. Consequently, Ms. Davis believes that Cilandak Games is essential to the high school community experience.

“You see even these students who are usually very shy and quiet doing the cheer and really getting into it with their classmates,” she explains. “Everyone’s all together, [which] is just super cool.”

The time each student has to experience Cilandak Games is fleeting and unrepeatable. So, on this one day we have, have a good time, be engaged in activities, and unite with your grade level. 

Make unforgettable memories that will remain with you as key moments of your high school journey.